Epilepsy is a chronic disorder that causes unprovoked and recurrent seizures. Epilepsy is the fourth most common neurological disorder and affects people of all ages. The patients are reported to loss or disturbance of consciousness and movements along with sensory or psychiatric disturbances. Increasing prevalence of the epilepsy, rising per capita healthcare expenditure and increasing R&D for the therapeutic procedures of the disease drives the Anti-epilepsy Drugs Market -growth during the forecast period, 2017-2022.
Global Anti-Epilepsy Drugs Market – Competitive Analysis
Characterized by the presence of several well-established and small players, the global anti-epilepsy drugs market appears to be highly competitive and fragmented. International players who are increasingly expanding their footprint in the developing economy, making it difficult for regional vendors to compete with them, especially in terms of features such as product differentiation, product portfolios, quality, and pricing. The market is witnessing intensified competition which is expected to get more intensified further during the forecast period. The intense competition prevalent in the market dictates the consolidation among marketers.
Global Anti-epilepsy Drugs Market – Regional Analysis
On the regional backgrounds the Americas leads the global market for anti-epilepsy drugs owing to a well-developed healthcare sector, increasing prevalence of epilepsy and presence of the developed technologies within the region. According to the Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, in 2015, 1.2% of the total U.S. population had active epilepsy. Moreover, it was estimated that the yearly total direct and indirect cost of epilepsy in the U.S. was about USD 15.5 billion. Europe is second in the market due to rising healthcare expenditures, huge patient population and growing healthcare R&D expenses by the government. The Asia Pacific region is the fastest growing region due to the developing economies like India and China which are increasing their healthcare expenditures and have huge patient population. Moreover, favourable government policies within the region fuels the market growth. Middle East and Africa have the least market share, especially due to the presence of poor economies and stringent government policies within the African region.
GET Global anti-epilepsy drugs market Information, Types of seizures (Generalized seizures and Partial-onset seizures), By Generation (First, second and third) – Forecast to 2022
The major driving factor for the growth are:
- Development of better tolerated third generation drugs
- Increasing screening of patients, penetration and availability of drugs
- Growth of geriatrics as they are affected more by epilepsy
- Comparative lower competition in anti-epilepsy drugs as most drugs act by similar action. Thus, advent of a novel drug will make it a blockbuster with easy uptake and less marketing cost
- Support for drug research and awareness created by social and government bodies
- The constraints of the market are:
- Loss of patents for a number of anti-epilepsy drugs such as Neurontin (2003) and Lyrica (scheduled in 2018)
- Unknown origins and mechanism of action of epilepsy and concurrent lack of new novel acting drugs
- Historical dominance of Gamma Aminobutyric Acid modulators and ion channel blockers, even though a sizeable segment of patients respond very poorly or none at all to these drugs
Key Players for Global anti-epilepsy drugs market:
Pfizer, Inc., Johnson & Johnson, UCB Pharma Ltd., Abbott Laboratories, GlaxoSmithKline plc, Novartis International AG, Sanofi S.A., Shire Pharmaceuticals Limited and Cephalon Inc.
Study Objectives Global anti-epilepsy drugs market:
- To provide detailed analysis of the market structure along with forecast for the next 7 years of the various segments and sub-segments of the global anti-epilepsy drugs market
- To provide insights about factors affecting the market growth
- To analyze the market based on various factors- price analysis, supply chain analysis, porters five force analysis etc.
- To provide historical and forecast revenue of the market segments and sub-segments with respect to four main geographies and their countries- Americas, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Middle East & Africa.
- To provide country level analysis of the market with respect to the current market size and future prospective
- To provide country level analysis of the market for segments by type of seizures (seizures (generalized seizures and partial-onset seizures) and by generation (first, second and third)
- To provide overview of key players and their strategic profiling in the market, comprehensively analyzing their core competencies, and drawing a competitive landscape for the market
- To track and analyze competitive developments such as joint ventures, strategic alliances, mergers and acquisitions, new product developments, and research and developments globally.
Market Research Future (MRFR), enable customers to unravel the complexity of various industries through Cooked Research Report (CRR), Half-Cooked Research Reports (HCRR), Raw Research Reports (3R), Continuous-Feed Research (CFR), and Market Research & Consulting Services.