The famous temple of Lord Muktinath lies in Mustang district and is situated at an altitude of 3800m, about 18kms away from Jomsom. This pagoda-shaped temple is dedicated to Lord Vishnu and is considered to be the most sacred site in Nepal after the temple of Pashupatinath located in Kathmandu.
When you visit the beautiful temple of Muktinath, you are not get the magnificent views of the Himalayas and diverse ethnic culture, but also get to experience the spiritual vibe of the place. The trail passes along Kali Gandaki River, the deepest gorge in the world, from Jomsom to Kagbeni. The trek starts from Pokhara and ends in Jomsom.
If you are planning to do the trek to Muktinath temple, then this article has all the important information you are going to need to plan a perfect tour. Read on to know more.
How to reach Muktinath
There are multiple ways to reach Muktinath:
- You can either take a flight from Pokhara to Jomsom and then hike for 7-8 from Jomsom
- Trek for 7-8 days from Pokhara to Jomsom along Kali Gandaki valley
- You can also take a bus or jeep service that is readily available between Pokhara and Jomsom via Beni, Ghasa, Tato pani,Tukuche, and Marfa. It takes about 10-11 hours to reach as the road is unpaved between Beni and Jomson and then on to Muktinath.
- Many pilgrims also prefer to take the helicopter service between Pokhara and Kathmandu. This is the best route if you want to see the sprawling Annapurna and Dhaulagiri ranges up close.
How to visit Damodar Kund & Muktinath
You can either plan this trek on your own or take help from a travel agency to arrange for a trek either on foot or by pony. This 14-day trek from Jomsom to Damodar Kind is designed in such a way that the trekker will be adequately acclimatized for the high altitudes. Be sure to speak with at least 3-5 operators to get the accurate Muktinath tour cost. Since the trek covers high altitude of 5333m, it is important to do it with an experienced company to ensure safety. Additionally, you must also be adequately fit to undertake this journey.
The guests enter Nepal directly by air to Kathmandu and explore the capital city before leaving for Pokhara or Jomsom. Both these cities are well connected to Kathmandu, which means you can easily travel by road or by air as per your budget and availability of time.
Other ways of entering Nepal include borders around Darjeeling, Sunauli, Jogbani, Banbasa etc.
Packing for Muktinath
Since you will be trekking in high altitudes, it is important to carry all the following items with you:
- Warm clothing, a pair of hiking shoes, sunscreen, sunglasses with UA/UV protection, woollen socks, personal towel, a few t-shirts, plenty of layers.
- Torch and extra set of batteries
- Food and drink such as chocolates, biscuits, nuts, protein bars
- If you are doing this trek with a tour operator, expect to get vegetarian food, tea/coffee, and snacks. You will also be able to find these along the trail in shops.
- Since this is a pilgrimage tour, it is not allowed to bring alcohol.
Best time to visit Damodar Kund in Muktinath
Damodar Kund is best visited in the months of June and September, if you are visiting by helicopter. However, if you are trekking on this route, then it is advisable to do so in the months of May and June.
All pilgrims are required to carry an authorized ID card, preferably a passport, along with their trekking permits. SAARC nations are required to pay ACAP fee of Rs. 200 and other nationals must pay Rs. 2000 for the trek.
Equipment to carry on the trek
Apart from being dressed properly for trekking, you must also carry the right equipment to help you trek with minimal effort. If possible, invest in good quality hiking sticks, trekking shoes, trekking gear, a hat, sunglasses, and a hiking backpack with proper support. If you are ill-equipped to carry out this trek yourself, then you must consider taking help from a professional tour agency who can take care of all your needs and ensure that you finish your tour with ease.
Read this article thoroughly to educate yourself about the trek requirements and to help you plan the trip in the best possible manner.