How to Protect Yourself Against Skin Cancer?

How to Protect Yourself Against Skin Cancer?

The skin is the largest organ in our body with numerous cells. Each of those cells can be cancerous at a certain point. Furthermore, skin cancer is one of the most common types of cancer in Australia and indeed globally. It is for those and other reasons why you should consider going for a skin check in Gold Coast. Nonmelanoma skin cancer is a form of cancer that is subdivided into two main categories depending on where it occurs in the body. The basal cell carcinoma and the squamous cell carcinoma. Both types are considered to be low-risk cancers, especially if they are treated early and appropriately.

Basal cell carcinoma is the most common accounting for about 80% of the total skin cancers, followed by the squamous cell, which only accounts for the remaining 20%. Melanoma skin cancers, on the other hand, are quite rare but can be more aggressive than other types. It helps to get a skin check in Gold Coast since most types of cancers can be curable if they are caught in the early stages. Knowing your skin helps to protect it against conditions such as cancer. Here are several ways you can prevent skin cancer.

Annual Visits to the Dermatologist

The best way to keep track of changes on your skin is by going for yearly check-ups to the doctor. Variations on the skin can be an origin of cancer, and that is why it is important to monitor such changes as soon as they occur. It is also important to go for a skin check-up because sometimes skin mole or a nonhealing pimple may seem normal to a novice when it fact it is cancer. This means that skin cancer looks very harmless, especially if you are not sure what you are looking for.

Wear a Sunblock Regularly and Reapply if Needed

You should not ditch the sunscreen because it is cloudy out there. The UV radiation can be filtered through the cloud cover and damage your skin. It would be best if you also reapplied the sunscreen every 20 minutes when in the gym or swimming. Reapplication is even more critical during the day, especially between 11 a.m and 2 p.m when the UV radiation index is at its maximum. Most doctors recommend a wide variety of water-resistant sunscreen more so those with both UVA and UVB protection and SPF of 30.

Avoid Sunbathing

It doesn't sound logical that you have applied the sunscreen only to expose yourself to the sun. You might be looking for a favorable complexion, but it will have detrimental consequences on your skin. Sunbathing is not advisable because the UV rays from the sun are particularly dangerous to the DNA of skin cells. If skin cells are damaged, you may experience signs of aging, which then develops into skin cancer. You should apply a water-resistance broad-spectrum sunscreen that contains SPF 30 or higher and reapply two to three hours if you are sweaty.

Stay Away from Tanning Beds

Radiation emitted by indoor tanning beds is way higher compared to radiation from the sun. Such high radiation levels can lead to mutation of the skin cell, which may grow into tumors and turn cancerous later on. This can lead to the formation of wrinkles, especially of the epidermis and dermis tissues of the skin are damaged.

Put on a Layer of Protective Clothing

In as much as it can be tempting to wear minimal clothing, especially during summer, many dermatologists advise that you keep the shirt on. You should even put on protective clothing rather than the usual cotton fibers, whether you are at high risk or not. Seek a garment with an Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF)of 50 and above. Remember that the UPF factor depends on many things, including weight and density of the material, colour, among other factors. The UPF labels are usually placed on pants, long-sleeve shirts, and hats.

Always be on the Lookout

It is important to check yourself, especially if you have a  personal or family history of cancer, light skin pigmentation, and extensive exposure to the sun. Go for a skin check once every month if you are at high risk and once every three months if you are at low risk. Take note of any signs of burning, itching, nonhealing sore or pimple, and bleeding.

Know the Symptoms of Melanoma

The common signs and symptom of the most melanoma can be explained using the ABCDE, they include

  • Asymmetry

One half of the mole looks different from the other half

  • Borders

Some moles are irregularly shaped, scalloped and not clearly defined

  • Colour

Do the moles vary in colour in terms of shades. They can be brown, tan, or black. Some moles may also turn blue, red or white

  • Diameter

Are the moles larger or smaller than the size of a pencil eraser?

  • Evolving

Moles can change in size, colour or shape

About Nancy Ahuja

Images

Nancy is a freelance writer, with years of experience, creating content and own a blog, Read her amazing content on srcitisvpi.com

Related Posts

Log in to post a comment.