You can’t control somebody’s car, which is out of control, nor can you rely on other drivers to keep you safe. A car accident can leave you with life-changing injuries, and everybody involved may want to hold the other party responsible for their suffering. It’s therefore vital to know and understand what should be done in case an accident happens to you. Learning how to get the best attorney for your car accident case and not filing an insurance claim first could be the only solution to your problems.
Factors That Contributes to Road Accidents
- There are so many factors that contribute to road accidents. Some of the significant reasons are:
- Lack of skills
- Condition of the car
- Reckless driving
- Risk-taking behaviors among young drivers
Where can I find a car accident attorney near me is a common question among many drivers today. With increased transportation infrastructure, road accidents become complicated day by day. Nevertheless, you will always find an experienced lawyer who can help you go through your case to get the best compensation for your damages. The biggest mistake you can make is to file a legal claim with an insurance company after your car accident.
What is a legal claim?
According to the legal English dictionary, a legal claim is a request or a demand for your rights. You might want to think first before you file a claim. It’s better to take the time to consider your actions first. One of the main reasons is that you should think of your premiums as your claim amortization. This can help you decide whether to file a claim or not.
What You Should Do After A Car Accident
Most of the car accidents that happen involve personal injury to either the driver or the car occupants. Most of these again lead to fatal injuries. There are certain things you need to do after being involved in a car accident to protect your interest. Below are some of the top things you should do after your car accident.
- Always stop after your car is involved in an accident, even if there is no damaged cause. This is your legal obligation as a driver.
- Don’t admit responsibility for your car accident. Your car accident attorney should do any talking. Under any circumstances, should you assume liability or responsibility for the accident.
- Determine the extent of any injury or damages caused. If seriously injured ask for help
- Contact the police. It’s good to have a legal report that may be needed by your attorney for legal proceedings. This ensures that nothing is falsified in the future.
Point to note:
If the police report delays, this should not stop you from talking to a car accident lawyer. This is termed as “sitting on your rights.”
- Limit your conversation with the other party. You should not give out any information to the other party, not unless it’s your attorney or a medical professional.
- Obtain facts about the car accident. You need to get details of what happened in the car accident. While many individuals forget about this fact due to the accident’s shock, it is advisable to have every fact.
Facts needed from a car accident scene include:
Date and time when the accident happened
The other driver information e.g., name and address
Other vehicle details e.g., registration number
- Report the accident and protect your rights: This is the most important thing you can do after being involved in an accident. The reporting should be done as soon as possible because time is of the essence. If you don’t report the incident, chances of your case winning may be minimal.
Consequences of not reporting the accident
You will have few chances of receiving compensation. It may seem as if you never suffered or the injuries were not severe
The accident could be blamed on you. The other party involved may have a high chance of blaming you.
You can be charged for breaking the law. Some states require one to report a car accident by filling out forms.
Deciding to Hire the Lawyer
Looking for an attorney will ensure your rights are protected, and the evidence is not destroyed. Your attorney will advise on what to be done to enjoy full compensation for the damages and injuries you may have suffered. He/she will also make sure you get the best medical attention in case of prolonged injuries. You will not pay any legal fees until your attorney recovers all the injuries or damages compensations. The attorney will work on a contingency basis and make sure you’re fully compensated. Looking for an attorney in your neighborhood may be the best option since he/she understands what’s needed in your area.