Open this article in Dearbloggers App
Windows today are no longer an afterthought in an otherwise well-designed space. Thanks to technology, common windows have evolved to not just offer material and design options, but also thermal benefits. A process known as glazing makes this possible by installing additional panes of glass in a window.
While double-glazed windows have long been the standard option for keeping spaces warm and improving energy efficiency, they now have competition from triple-glazed windows. Which configuration should you choose for your space? Let’s take a look at the difference between the two.
What is Glazing?
Before we look at the difference between double and triple-glazed windows, let’s understand the science behind glazing.
A glazed window consists of multiple panes of glass with a layer of argon gas sandwiched in the middle. Because air is a poor conductor of heat, such windows offer complete thermal insulation, keeping the air in a room warm and obstructing cool air from entering. Since a room loses a significant amount of heat through its windows, glazing can play an important role in keeping your home and office spaces warm.
Double Glazed Windows
Double glazed windows feature two panes of glass with a layer of inert gas separating the two. Compared to regular windows, they offer double the insulation.
Pros of double gazed windows
1. Noise reduction – Double-glazed windows cancel noise from the outside, thus soundproofing a room
2. Reduced electricity bills – Double-glazed windows help in lowering energy costs. Their superior insulation properties keep spaces cool during the summer and warm in the winter, thus reducing energy bills
3. No condensation – These windows are designed to be watertight, preventing water droplets from freezing on the surface and turning spaces cold in the winter
Cons of double glazed windows
1. Expensive – Double-glazed windows are slightly more expensive than regular ones
2. Stuffy indoors – Their heat-trapping properties can result in stuffy indoors in the summer
3. Repair issues – Repair is not possible in the event of the glass breaking or the airtight seal being compromised – the entire glass pane has to be replaced
Triple-glazed windows feature three panes of glass with two layers of inert gas. They are fitted into a uPVC or aluminium frame to offer improved insulation and ease of installation.
Pros of triple glazed windows
1. Superior insulation – Compared to double-glazed windows, triple-glazed windows offer substantially better insulation properties
2. Enhanced noise reduction – With their superior noise reduction properties, triple-glazed windows are particularly advantageous for those living in a noisy area
Cons of triple glazed windows
1. Tricky installation – Because triple-glazed windows are heavier than regular ones, they need extra labour and time for installation
2. Expensive – The extra glass panes, high-quality window frames, and long hours of installation, make triple-glazed windows an expensive proposition
Choosing Between The Two
To decide which configuration is best suited for your space, take your location into account. While triple-glazed windows are ideal for cold environments that barely get sunlight, they are priced higher. Both configurations, however, offer undeniable benefits (in terms of money and comfort) to your spaces.
If you’d like to understand which window is best most suited for your needs, get in touch with AIS Windows. Choose us for a wide range of options in glass and window frames, where functionality meets aesthetics.
know more about us -
Asahi India Glass Ltd. (AIS) is India’s leading integrated glass solutions company and a dominant player both in the automotive and architectural glass segments. It commands over 70% share in the Indian automotive glass market. Established in 1984, AIS’ footprint today spans the entire spectrum of the automotive and architectural glass value chains. AIS provides end to end solutions right from manufacturing of glass, processing, fabrication and installation services. We cater to customers in domestic and international markets. It is a sand-to-solutions organization offering varied types of glass products & services for institutional buyers as well as retail customers, including:
• Automotive glass products: The various types of glass range from laminated windshields, tempered glass for sidelites and backlites to a range of value-added glasses like Solar control, Acoustic, De-fogger, Head-up display, etc.
• Architectural glass products: Our architectural product range includes clear, tinted, solar control & heat reflective glass, mirrors, frosted and back painted glass, along with a range of value added solutions in privacy, safety and acoustics.
• AIS Windshield Experts: India’s first and largest car windscreen repair & replacement network in India with presence across 42 cities with 88 conveniently located service centers. It is the preferred destination for discerning customers who want their car windscreen replaced or repaired.
Dearbloggers.com Is a blogging platform where you can read out about Education, Technology, Health, Business, Arts 7 Entertainment many more.